June 30th, 2022, marks the centenary of the terrible explosion and fire at the Four Courts, Dublin, which destroyed the Public Record Office of Ireland (PROI) and, with it, seven centuries of Ireland’s collective memories. While incomparable with the loss of human life, the destruction of the Record Treasury at the PROI was one of the great tragedies of the Civil War.
Beyond 2022 is an all-island and international collaboration. Working together, we will launch a Virtual Record Treasury for Irish history—an open-access, virtual reconstruction of the Record Treasury destroyed in 1922.
Combining historical research, archival discovery and technical innovation, Beyond 2022 offers a lasting and meaningful legacy from the Decade of Centenaries, democratising access to invaluable records and illuminating seven centuries of Irish history.
Beyond 2022 is funded by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht under Project Ireland 2040. We are proud to have inspired a unique collaboration between our Core Partners and a growing list of Participating Institutions in Ireland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- The National Archives (Ireland)
- The National Archives (UK)
- The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (Belfast)
- The Irish Manuscripts Commission
- The Library, Trinity College Dublin
Across the globe, more than seventy repositories hold substitute materials that can replace the documents destroyed in the Four Courts blaze. Our ground-breaking research will identify these records, replenishing the Record Treasury to a greater extent than ever imagined. Read More...
Thanks to pioneering digitization techniques, it’s possible to automatically transcribe large volumes of handwritten records. Digitization will allow users to connect, group and search diverse records from archives across Ireland and the World. Read More...
Over 50 million words once believed to be lost to history can be reconstructed. Discoveries on this scale indicate the potential of Beyond 2022 to enable the rewriting of the Irish story across the past millennium.
What was once believed lost forever is being recovered, record by record, shelf by shelf. Beyond 2022 will reveal a rich and complex new layer of Irish history across the past millennium, providing.
When the completed Beyond 2022 Virtual Record Treasury launches on June 30th, 2022 — the centenary of the Four Courts blaze — it will offer:
- 3-D Immersive experience providing Next Generation Access to the Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality model of the Public Record Office of Ireland and replacement collections
- Inventory of loss and survival from the 1922 fire
- Digitized image collections from the archives of Core Partners and Participating Institutions, including conserved and listed selections from the National Archives of Ireland’s ‘1922 Salved Records’
- Searchable content across manuscript and text records of 50+ million words documenting seven centuries of Irish History
- Knowledge Base for Irish History enabling the seamless linking across multiple collections both within and beyond the Virtual Record Treasury